News Blog‎ > ‎

8 July 2015 DIY chain pays out £200,000 after 3 men died from Legionnaires' Disease caught from the store's filthy hot tub

posted 13 Jul 2015, 00:42 by Ian Clarenbone

A DIY chain has paid over £200,000 in damages to the relatives of three men who were killed after being struck down with Legionnaires' disease caused by a filthy hot tub on display. 

 A report by the Health Protection Agency (HPA) said the 'probable source' came from a hot tub on display at the JTF Warehouse in Fenton, Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire.  

 The report found that had not been filtered or cleaned for weeks, causing the water to stagnate and leading to the formation of bacteria and build-up of Legionnaires' disease droplets. 

When the hot tub was then turned on it is believed the particles became airborne and spread around the garden centre.

 Father-of-two Mr Griffin, from Clayton, Staffordshire, was the first victim of the outbreak. It is believed he contracted the disease while delivering meat to the store's cafe and started getting headaches, fever and hallucinations. He later lost consciousness at his home and died at the University Hospital of North Staffordshire from multiple organ failure on August 2, 2012, after spending a week in hospital.

 Grandfather-of-two Mr Hammersley, from Chesterton, Staffordshire, passed away on August 4 while Mr Cadman, from Stoke-on-Trent, died from the disease days later.

 Following their deaths the grieving relatives of the three men took legal action against the DIY firm who admitted civil liability earlier this year. Lawyers working for the families revealed they had been paid a substantial payout by the company for their 'pain and suffering, lost earnings and care'.